English teacher by day, writer by night, I grew up in cold and haunted New England and have moved up and down the East Coast before finding the right balance in Northern Virginia. I have two corgis, a rambunctious and curious dog named Leia, and an kind and obedient (yet terrified) dog named Yoda. You can contact me at mercuryval [at] yahoo [dot] com. You can also find some of my works on my Amazon author page (amazon.com/author/valmuller)
Published (or Forthcoming) Fiction
- Corgi Capers: a middle-grade mystery novel inspired by my two Pembroke Welsh Corigs, Yoda and Leia (Dancing With Bear publishing)
- “The Girl with Sunrise in her Hair” in Timid Pirate’s Finding Home: Community in Apocalyptic Worlds anthology
- “The Fire Beneath the Sea” in Here There Be Dragons anthology (forthcoming)
- “Night of the Fish People” inUnder the Stairs anthology
- “The Astrozen Composer” in appear in First Contact Imminent anthology
- “A Lasting Impression” in New Moon Girls magazine (available here until October 2011).
- “Horrible Harry” in Fearology: Terrifying Tales of Phobias.
- “The Prophet on the Sand” in Shroud 10: The Quarterly Journal of Dark Fiction and Art (Volume 3).
- “The Garden Beyond” in Haunted: An Anthology of the Supernatural.
- “Zombies of the Caribbean” in Christmas is Dead: A Zombie Anthology.
- “Night at Camp Sandalwood” in New Moon Girls magazine
- “Bridgeport Occupied,” with Slant of Light Theater, Bridgeport, CT. This play is based on a series of interviews with residents of Bridgeport, CT on issues concerning their daily lives, from their opinion of the local and national economy to the nature of their own American Dreams.
- “The Holidays in Verse,” a children’s play originally performed at the Milford Actors’ Studio, Milford, CT (December 1999).
Fiction: In the Pipeline
The Girl Who Flew Away: a young adult novel about a girl who is searching for her friend in an isolated state park in Connecticut–and ends up finding herself.
Faulkner’s Apprentice: a horror novel (for adults) about a woman who wins an apprenticeship with the master of dark fiction only to find herself plagued by memories, a haunted mansion, and a grisly man in a fedora.
Corgi Capers: the sequel. Currently in the editing phase.
- “A Teacher of Human Beings” in The Ultimate Teacher (March 2009)
- “Fate’s Compass Points South” in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Teens Talk Getting In. . . to College: 101 True Stories from Kids Who Have Lived Through It (November 2008).
- “Film as Film: Using Movies to Help Students Visualize Literary Theory” in English Journal (January 2006)
- From Lancaster, Berks, & Chester County Business2Business magazines: